Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Cajun Tongue

Oh boy ...

Day 19 of the blogger's challenge is about my accent.  You know, the most noticeable thing about me once I open my mouth.  I can't escape it.  I don't want to escape it.  I think I love it.

I have not lived in Louisiana for the past 20+ years, but I have not lost my accent.  It's worse (better?) after I've gone home for a visit.  And please don't think that it's just Australians who notice that I don't sound like everyone else.  I've been teased about my accent for as long as I can remember.

No matter where we've ended up, one of the first things anyone asks me is, "Where are you from?"

Cause they know I'm not local.

I found my first office job in California at a travel company.  I took reservations over the phone.  That was great because I love talking to people.  My co-workers were fascinated with my accent.  But I told them that my brother's accent was stronger than mine.  I called up my brother and asked him to just have a conversation with me over the speakerphone.  Yep, highlight of my life.  Always willing to accept my role as a circus act.  LOL

Now, please don't go turn on your TV to Swamp People or whatever (you know, the one with all the subtitles for people who have no teeth so all their words run together and no one has a clue what they are saying).  No, I don't sound like that.  I enunciate my words.  And I'm fairly certain everyone can understand what I'm saying without a ticker tape under my face to translate.

Anyhoo, not sure what else to say about this.

Yes, my accent makes me stand out.  I like standing out.  And I'm proud to say I'm Cajun.


Laissez les bons temps rouler, cher!



3 comments:

  1. Now you have me curious as to exactly what the Cajun accent sounds like. I find it fascinating that America has so many regional variations compared to Australia. It partly has to do with Australia being settled later apparently, and the way that most immigrants came to the Sydney area and spread out from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I really want to hear your now. I'll be the judge if you need ticker tape or not. =P Does the cajun accent include a lot of French words or phrases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to. But that was one of the first things I lost. I think it's because when there's no reciprocation, you drop it. So when I talk with family it sometimes comes back.

      Delete