Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bangor and Back

So this past weekend was our trip to Bangor, ME.  Jim's sister bought our 2002 Buick Rendezvous.  Little did she know that she would also inherit a bunch of other stuff from us.  We also brought our armoire, a bunch of board games, holiday decorations, etc.  The kids were excited.  It was like Christmas in February!

So we packed up the car early Saturday and took off at about 8am.  Separate cars.  My worst nightmare.  I'm one of those people who can easily fall asleep at the wheel.  Something about being in a car just knocks me right out like a light!  Needless to say, I didn't, but it was touch and go there a few times.  Our first stop for a fuel-up was just inside Maine.  The little blue sign indicated that gas was available.  We pulled off.  Took the first exit off a roundabout and quickly left civilization.  I don't know where the gas was, but we weren't able to find it.  Turned around, went back through the roundabout and got back on the highway.  Again, we took an exit that suggested gas was available.  We drove into some little town.  Only saw one other car.  I'm not kidding.  After about 10 minutes of driving around (pretty much) aimlessly, we happened upon a 7-11 with a gas station.  Wow.

So we got back on the highway and drove until Jim saw a Friendly's.  I agreed that Friendly's would be good for lunch, so we exited.  We pretty much had to guess where to turn to get to the Walmart, which Jim saw next to the "Friendly's."  We found the Walmart, but then realized that what he thought was Friendly's was actually Texas Roadhouse.  So we ate there.  Jim had a pulled pork sandwich and I had a country fried steak with mashed potatoes.  I couldn't believe the size of the steak.  It came on its own plate with the potatoes in a dish on the side.  Really?  For lunch??  I LOL'd and proceeded to eat about 10 bites.  :)

Got back on the road and finally arrived at the Eastman household at about 3pm.  Not bad.

The kids were all excited.  They had been waiting all day for us to arrive.  I don't know who they were expecting, but they got us.  :)  The Buick was unloaded, we all played catch-up, everyone filled up on pizza and then it was off to the hotel.  We were so tired... we were almost asleep before our heads hit the pillows!

Went back to Jennifer & Marc's house for breakfast and a quick goodbye before driving back to Ansonia.  This time we ate at Cracker Barrel on the way home at about 1:30 in the afternoon.  Didn't have any trouble finding a gas station this time because it was right next door to the CB.  Convenient.  That's how we like it.

Once we got home, we had to do a little bit of shopping for the coming week's lunches, but we were home in time for the Super Bowl.  I really didn't care who won since my Saints were out of the running, but it was a good game.  And Madonna was awesome.  I was a little surprised when she stumbled a bit, but who are we kidding?  I probably couldn't even stand up in those shoes she had on.  All hail the Queen!  She's effen awesome!

2012 Super Bowl Halftime Show featuring Madonna!

Then we went to bed by 9pm.  Had to find out that the Giants bested the Patriots the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. I figured you would be watching Madonna. For an older gal I think she did great. I found out today that the "CHEERLEADDER ENSEMBLE" was from Southern University in Baton Rouge. Glad to hear you guys had an interesting trip and visit.