Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ANZAC Day

Today is Anzac Day in Australia.  Think Memorial Day in the US.  So we had the day off.  It's kind of nice having a day off in the middle of the week, although I'll take any day off.  Anyhoo, April 25th (or should I embrace my new home and say 25 April) is Anzac Day.  Basically, it stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.  If you are so inclined, you can read more about it here:

Anzac Day

I had the day off, but I'm sure you have already guessed that Mr. Smith went into work.  While he was there I slept in a little bit.  We were up late last night so I easily slept until 8am.  I would have liked to have slept longer, but once I wake up I usually don't go back to sleep.  As much as I like it, I don't want to sleep my life away.  I ate my raspberry yogurt with almonds and sat down to work in my cafe as I waited for the water in my kettle to boil.  I had some coffee and decided that I should work on some laundry.  For some reason, I thought that I had done the laundry while I showered before.  I must have been mistaken.  After about 3-4 minutes in the shower, the water went ice cold.  The warm water never came back.  I had to quickly try to rinse away soap and conditioner as quickly as I could as icicles literally pounded down my back.  It was excruciating.

After my refreshing shower, I thought I'd sweep the apartment.  That's when I saw the bookcases and saw horses we bought at Ikea.  I'd forgotten that Mr. Smith asked me to put them all together.  So I put them together.

Later, when Mr. Smith got home he told me a story about a game called Two-Up that people play in pubs in Australia on Anzac Day.  It's only legal on Anzac Day, except in Queensland.  Interesting.  The game sounds so simple.  Perhaps because everyone is playing in pubs so it has to be easy?  LOL  Here's some more info about Two-Up:

Two-Up

I still don't understand why this game is only allowed to be played on Anzac Day.  They make it sound like no one is allowed to gamble, but there is a lottery.  Isn't that gambling too?  More info about the law:

Legal Gambling?

So my lovely day off is drawing to a close, but I enjoyed my day.  How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment