Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Making a Change

I feel like I want to make a change in my life.  We've been in Sydney for 2.5 months now.  Ever since we've arrived I've been obsessed with checking my email for news from home.  At this point, it's making me more and more depressed thinking about how everyone else has obviously moved on already while I remain tethered to my computer.  Why does no one answer my emails?  Don't they realize how lonely I am?  It's taken me a long time to blog about this.  Honestly, it's embarrassing.  But I started to think that others probably feel the way I do and at least this can validate them (and me).


I've also been spending a lot of time playing Zynga games on Facebook.  And getting frustrated.  And I'm sure annoying Mr. Smith by how much of my attention was directed toward it and not toward dinner and ironing.  (I still refuse to iron most things.)


So I want to make a change.  I want to be more productive.  I'm trying desperately to change my mindset toward going to the gym.  I go every Tuesday night for Zumba, but I really should go at least one more night per week.  At the very least.


I want to sew more.  I want to pick up my cross-stitch again.  Instead of sitting on the computer every night, I can create something.  I've always wanted to be a creative person... make things...  have an open mind.


So this morning I woke up and as usual I turned on my laptop first thing.  Guess what?  We have no internet connection.  (Telstra sucks... just my humble opinion)  I tried everything I know to get it to come back on, but to no avail.  Perhaps this is God's way of saying, "How about making that change?"

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm back - I will try to email more. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, you are such a sweetie! This post wasn't to make all my friends feel guilty - I promise. It was meant to be a "note to self - stop feeling sorry for yourself" type of thing. Everyone gets on with life and I need to move forward and stop looking behind me. That's all it was... self-realization. I love you for caring!

      Delete
  2. So many people (read expats) are in the same boat .... its kinda sad in a way, peole at home(wherever home may be) don't realise what it is like to be so far away from whats familiar to you as a person. Most think you are leading a grand expat life and dont even have the time to think about them ...

    but thats far from what its really like.

    I have repatriated back to Australia (Feb 2012) and most of my friends that I left behind over 5 years ago, are no longer as close to us as we once were. They feel we have 'outgrown' them. Many of my friends often discussed this very same issue about people not staying in contact etc ...

    there is no easy solution. But I did a blog post 'touching on it' about three years ago:

    http://leonefabre.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/friendships-and-family.html

    its not easy to write when you really dont want to hurt anyone, but just let those feeling roam freely ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Leone. You hit the nail squarely on the head. I'm so happy that you found your way to my little blog and now I've found my way to yours. :)

      You are very wise. I'm just a grasshopper.

      Delete
  3. I think that because I am a blogger, I understand the necessity to write comments on blogs and to keep up (comment) with my blogger friends. I have met a lot of great people through blogging and I see the need for keeping in touch. I have friends who read my blog every day and yet never comment. I ask them to, but they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, because if a person never comments they may as well not be reading it. How do you know who's reading or if anyone's reading if no one comments?

      Delete