Tuesday, May 3, 2016

So It's Been A While

What keeps bloggers from blogging?  I can only say that for me ... it's my perception that nothing really exciting happens in my life and certainly nothing that other people particularly enjoy reading about.  I have a need for feedback and I *almost* never get it.  Without substantial comments (down below), I have a hard time finding the motivation.

But I've decided to TRY to blog for myself and not pay attention to my comments (or lack thereof).  And we'll see how long this lasts.  :)

So Mr. Smith and I have been back stateside for over a year now.  Over this past year, I've been asked how I like being back.  If I'm happy to be back.

You know, it's impossible to fairly compare Australia to the USA.  They are so different.  The people are so different.  The attitudes are different.

Australians tend to see the glass half full; Americans see it half empty.

Australians value time spent with family and friends; Americans value the almighty dollar.

Australians are fined if they don't vote in elections; Americans are given the opportunity to vote.

Australians drive on the left side of the road and the right side of the car; it's opposite from America.

Australians have a Prime Minister; Americans have a President.

Australians get 4 weeks of vacation time per year; Americans usually start with 1 week per year and may get 2 weeks per year if they stay at the same company over a year.  But it's rare to get more than 2 weeks.

Australians also get Long Service Leave.  Depending on the state you work in, an employee is entitled to Long Service Leave after 7-15 years of continuous employment with the same employer.  It is usually two or three months vacation in addition to the 4 weeks standard vacation time.  It goes on from there.

I know it sounds like I'm knocking America, but it's easy to do when you've experienced both and I'm American.  It's easy for me to see her drawbacks.

But Australia wasn't a total bed of roses.  I actually did not enjoy working in Sydney.  The only good things that came from working were my friends and my salary.  That's about it.

So hopefully that answers questions about the differences.  But if it doesn't, feel free to ask questions in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them.



No comments:

Post a Comment