Saturday, May 28, 2016

Extrovert Problems

So there's this good friend I left behind in Sydney.  She's in my book club and calls herself an introvert.  I consider her a wonderful writer/blogger and she just posted this:


It spoke to me.

The little voice in the back of my mind told me to steal her idea.  I swear.  It was the little voice.  I didn't mean to do it.

I've always considered myself an extrovert.  To be fair, I do have a tendency lately to be a loner.  Meaning I like to do things by myself.  But when I'm in a group I know that I do things specifically designed to steal the spotlight and I know how annoying that can be.  So I try to tone myself down whenever I can.  I can be a bit much.

In her blog, Cristin mentions that extroverts can be "energy stealers."  Is this the same as stealing the spotlight?  I'd hate to think that I'm squashing someone else's energy in an effort to get attention.  Eek!



Personally, I think the introverts are the lucky ones.  They're not annoying anyone.  People aren't worried that they are going to outshine them or talk over them in an effort to get their idea out first.  They're great listeners.  They make better friends.

I crave the kinds of relationships they have.  I would love to have a friend who I'm really close to.  Who I can tell anything to.  Who I just have to call the instant something significant (or not) happens in my life.  Who feels the same way about me.

But I don't have friendships like that.  And it makes me sad.  Especially because I think it's too late.



2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's too late, at all! You never know who is going to walk into your life, we just have to be open to them, introvert or extrovert.
    And, on the "energy stealer," I don't think it's so much about stealing the spotlight, but I feel pushed to rise to the extrovert energy level, which depletes the stores of energy I came in with. The thing I actually really appreciate about extroverts is that they always keep the conversation going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you are right. I think at this point I just sabotage myself. I don't think I can put the time in that it would need at this point in my life. And now it's my self-fulfilling prophesy. Or maybe I'm scared?

      Delete