Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Music in My Soul

I remember listening to a variety of music as I grew up.  My mom and cousin were the biggest influences that I can recall early on.  The first musical mediums for me were 8 track tapes.  I had an 8 track player in my room and I'm pretty sure our car had an 8 track player in it as well.  I'm sure if I'm wrong about that my mom will tell me.  And while I know I had many 8 track tapes, I don't remember which albums we had.

But I do remember singing and dancing in the living room with my mom to Nancy Sinatra.



I also remember our Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band album.  Here's my favourite song from that album:



But as I mentioned, my cousin Tricia also influenced the music I listened to as a kid.  She liked country music and when I was young she came to live with us for a few years.  We listened to nothing but country music for a while.  Who can forget "Islands in the Stream?"



I loved George Strait.  Actually, still do.  I don't seek out new music on a regular basis or anything, but country music still holds a special place in my heart.  Here's a good one:



I also love Randy Travis.  I still have this song on my iPod:



But then I hit puberty and got into this kind of music:



And then I met Stacey and we got into this music:




Then one day my little brother, Stephen, came home with some music that I fell in love with (sorry only video I could find that was ACTUALLY him):



There's not a single song I've heard Garth sing that I don't absolutely love.  Not a single one.  And if anyone wants to give me his box set of "Blame It All on My Roots," I wouldn't turn it down.  :)

So I could go on and on through every few years of my life, but I won't.  Let's just say that I happily let others influence me on a regular basis when it comes to music.  This one is from my good friend, Declan:



And he also got me into this:



And this song has caught my attention of late:



And for those who know me well... you're probably wondering where my Madonna music is in all this?  Well, Madge will always be awesome to me.  I've loved all her albums.  Every incarnation.  But if I could only pick one song, I would choose this one for the beat and danceability:



Truth is... music will always be a huge part of my life.  I listen to my iPod walking to and from work every day.  I lip sync most of the way and I'm sure people think I'm nuts.  I don't care.  I love music.  It makes the world go round.  Pretty much anything that has a beat and makes you want to move your feet... I like.



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Garth....Absolutely love him!! Hopefully, he will be around here on his new World Tour. I saw him in 1994 ( six months pregnant) at the New Haven coliseum...I am dating myself!

    Miss you and hope all is well!!

    ReplyDelete