Saturday, January 18, 2014

Accounting in Sydney

Before I begin, I need to state the obvious:  these are all my personal observations.  :)


Accountants in Sydney are a dime a dozen.  If you make your living in accounting, I would think twice before moving here.  The problem is that universities are churning out Accounting grads faster than you can blink.  For every accounting job that becomes available, there are hundreds of people applying.  You can send out just as many resumes and never even hear back.  When you do hear back, you are told any number of things, but it's usually that they have received a large number of applications and yours just didn't match their EXACT needs.

Each job description reads like a CFO.  You'd think that by the time they tell you the salary, you'd be offered something in the six digit range.  But no.  They expect all that for $50k per annum.  Sometimes less.

It's a miracle to get a request for an interview.

The whole process is so demoralising to me.  At this point, I'd be happy for a receptionist job.  But those jobs are no easier to obtain because all the accountants are getting so desperate for work (money) that they are willing to do anything as well.

The thing is...  I'm a hard worker.  I don't have a problem with working for a decent pay.  But some days it seems impossible.  What magic do I need just to get to speak to someone about my qualifications?  I am a people person who wants to please others.

At least in the states I was treated like a person and not like just words on a piece of paper.  My previous qualifications meant something.

No comments:

Post a Comment